Crunchy Mini Cookies 小饅頭
Are they adorable? This is a Chinese snack called Siu Mantou, little bun. They are very crunchy cookies, taste actually almost nothing…yes I know, but once you start eating it, you cannot stop! It is also can give it for young kids for baby snack.
If you live in Asia, you properly know what I am talking about, 旺仔小饅頭. So tiny, crunchy and yummy, even they don’t have much taste. How weird is that?! But even now, I still buy and eat the whole pack in one go. This is just the way!
To make this little bun-shape cookies, what you need is patient or more than technique I would say. The smaller the cookie the crunchier, so you will have to make it super small like maybe a pinky finger nail. If you make it big, it will be very doughy and not nice at all. Good to ask your kids to help!
Low sugar, no butter, great snack!
Beat the eggs with sugar, sift in cake flour, potato starch, baking powder and milk, mix well. Use your hands to form a dough, knead for few minutes to bring it together. Add some cake flour if is too sticky, or add milk if is too dry.
Now roll the dough into tiny balls, like soy bean size. Place on parchment paper and space aparted. They will grow a little bigger, spray some water on the dough, it can help prevent cracking too much.
Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 10 minutes, until the surface is slightly golden. Flip the balls half way through to make sure cook evenly. Cool on wire rack and it is done!
- 1 egg
- 45 gram sugar
- 145 gram potato starch
- 30 gram cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 ml milk
- 材料 ：
- 雞蛋 -1隻
- 糖 -45克
- 日式太白粉 -145克
- 低筋麵粉 -30克
- 牛奶 -20毫升
- Preheat oven at 180C. Beat the egg with sugar, then sift in potato starch, flour, baking plwder and milk, mix well.
- Use your hands to form a dough, knead for few minutes.
- Then roll a small dough like soy bean size into a ball. Place on parchment paper and spray some water on top to pretend cracking too much.
- Pop in oven for about 10 minutes or until slightly golden, cool on wire rack.
- You can store the cookies into airtight container to store up to a week.