This is classic pastry cream, very rich, creamy and vanilla flavour. It made of egg yolks , sugar and milk, for thicken the sauce will need some flour and constarch. Pastry cream can use for lining for fruit tarts, Dainsh pastries filling, puff pastry dessert, cake filling…. Once you learn how to make it, you will definitely prefer the homemade one to store-bought one.
Pastry cream is so easy to make, the most important is the consistency. Add corn starch and flour to thicken the sauce, but not too thick. It takes maybe 20 minutes to make, very simple but delicious. If you like baking, you must learn how to make this one!
Beat the egg yolks and sugar together, until pale. Then sift in flour and corn starch, mix till well combine.
In a small saucepan, add in milk and vanilla extract, cook at medium heat until simmer (do not boil it) Remove from heat and cool for 30 seconds. Then slowly pour half of the milk to the egg mixture, keep whisking the mixture, then slowly pour the remain milk in it. Slowly pour the warm milk to cold eggs, can prevent the egg to scrambled.
Then transfer the mixture to the saucepan, bring the mixture to boil, then let it simmer. Keep stirring and the sauce will thicken. Pour the sauce in a bowl, cover the surface with cling film to preven skin form. Let it cool or you can put in a bowl of cold water. Once is cool, then you can use the cream.
- 4 egg yolks
- 30 gram sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 240ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until pale.
- Sift in flour and corn starch, mix well.
- In a small sauce pan, warm the milk and vanilla extract until simmer, remove from heat and cool for 30 seconds.
- Pour half of the milk into the egg mixture, keep whisking and prevent the eggs from scrambled.
- Pour the remain mixture and keep whisking.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan, bring it to boil and let it simmer. Keep stirring and the cream will thicken.
- Pour the sauce in a bowl, cover with cling film which can prevent a skin forming.
- Let it cool completely before used.